Springtime Thai Prawn + Mango Salad, Sublime
Grab some friends and throw a picnic rug down (in NSW and Victoria... picnic time is coming soon!). I have made this recipe so many times over so many years, you should see the piece of paper it's written on .... it's well aged shall we say! The original recipe was from a friend via David Thompson and ever so slightly personalised.
This recipe is for 10.
Time to Prepare
Enlist some prawn peeling assistance as this is where bulk of time is spent.
Outside of prawn peeling allow for 30 minutes to prepare
- 6 Limes - 4 to be juiced, 2 to be peeled and sliced
- 25ml lite Soy Sauce
- 1 - 2 Tabs Fish Sauce
- 60ml White Wine Vinegar
- 100ml Olive Oil (lite so as not to overwhelm taste)
- Salt & Pepper
- 3-4 Tabs Sesame Seeds (toasted)
- 4-5 fresh Mangoes - peeled and sliced
- 500gms fresh crab* meat (optional)
- 30 medium sized cooked prawns*
- 2 Avocados - finely sliced or cubed as preferred
- Bunch Arugola (Rocket)
- Bunch Butter Lettuce
- Snow Pea Sprouts
*Vegetarian option use Tofu 900gms - 1kg - extra firm/firm, more details on preparation below.
- Mix together (or pour in a jar and shake gently) Lime juice, Soy, Fish Sauce, Vinegar, Olive Oil and S&P. You can add some sliced chilli also and play around with quantities to suit your taste.
- Peel, peel, peel those sweet prawns, you can either leave tails on or I prefer to fully peel the prawns so it's easier to eat (devine too if needed)
- Wash and prepare lettuce leaves and sprouts
Option you can serve on individual plates or one large one.
Place the lettuce leaves, then sprouts on the base of the plates/platter(s)
Place prawns* on top (and crabmeat)
Place sliced/diced avocado, mango and lime slices around the prawns
Pour the prepared dressing over the top (pour this on just before serving)
Top salad with toasted sesame seeds...
Eat and enjoy with a big spring smile on your face.
Prepared Tofu (rinse and pat dry with towels)
Dice firm to extra firm Tofu in 2-3 cm cubes, toss cubes lightly in Olive Oil (lite) or Soy Sauce (lite)
Place baking paper in baking dish and add Tofu in a single layer with a bit of room around each piece
Bake until golden brown at the edges in 200 - 180 Celsius Oven
Use Tofu in place of the Prawns (and Crab Meat), preparing and serving is the same,