Melinda's Easter Chocolate Cake - Gluten Free!
This gluten free, decadent chocolate cake is a crowd-pleaser and the perfect chocolate explosion for those Easter long weekend vibes!
My inspiration behind this recipe cake from the wonderful Nagi @recipe_tin yet I have provided personal alternatives to mix it up. I've personally made this countless times, and people keep asking for MORE! I love to pair it with refreshing berries to serve, plus some ice cream or coconut yoghurt if you're feeling extra fabulous.
Makes one cake
- 200 g / 1 ½ cups dark chocolate^ | 45% or 70% dark or 100g of each (or I replace this for 1 cup organic cocoa powder if preferred )
- 120 g / melted butter (good quality)
- ¾ cup / 165g raw sugar* (or I replace this with 3/4 cup of rice malt syrup for extra goo-fabulousness)
- 3 eggs (organic preferably as larger)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I prefer to use vanilla bean extract with seeds for a richer essence)
- ¼ cup / 17g organic cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt (optional)
- 2 cups / 190g almond meal
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C (fan forced / convection).
- Butter and line base + insides of 20cm / 8" spring form tin
- Melt chocolate^ and butter in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between until smooth.
- Whisk in sugar*
- Add eggs and vanilla, whisking well until combined
- Now use a wooden spoon. Add cocoa powder, baking powder and almond meal, fold through until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan - here I add Himalayan pink salt and sprinkle/grind on top (optional extra)
- Bake 45 min until thin crust on top and knife comes out clean
- Keep cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove sides. Cool completely on rack before carefully removing base.
- Dust with cocoa powder then serve. Serve with raspberries, blueberries or strawberries and some cream, ice cream or coconut yoghurt if that's where you are going on the food front this Easter!
- Slice into thin portions as this is quite rich so this can serve 10-12 comfortably.
*Or rice malt syrup